Troubleshooting and future work:
I did several experiments, taking measurements of each finger. I tried to scan each finger too, but I still wasn’t able to find the right adjustments for Frank's fingers.
It means that I probably have to implement another method, using molding and casting, to achieve the perfect size for his hand. About the splint: I have to do some adjustments and also consider, that if Frank recovers a little bit of the movement of the wrist I can use this data as a measurement for another sensor. Finish the case for the electronics. The integration of the textile in the orthotic.
My idea is to implement a new board, using the Satsha Micro, in order to reduce the size of the board, making it more wearable. In the future, I could implement my own sensor not only reducing the cost of the processes but also adapting it better for daily use. The system is designed to be replicated and individualized for other patients with similar disabilities, and, also I hope that the project grows in the open source medical devices.
As I expressed in the Final Presentation, this is still a work in progress. It will continue until the orthotic responds in a successful way to Franks disability, nevertheless, I feel, this is the beginning of an amazing work.
Through the whole process I had the support of the therapist Mr. Carsten Rubel, from the company Hodey Germany, who contributed greatly with his medical expertise. Thank you so much for your support. I would also like to thank Frank Miller. For the patience and making this project possible. Also Daniele Ingrassia, my classmates Thomas Kroop and Ferdinand Meier for the support, and the countless individuals who shared their knowledge, expertise and generous assistance, making this experience an unforgettable and amazing journey. To all of you, I extend my deepest appreciation.