The goal of this assignment is design a 3D mould with the limitations of 3 axis machining, and select and apply suitable material and processes to create a composite part.
Shown how you made your mould and created the composite
Described problems and how you fixed them
Included your design files and ‘hero shot’ photos of the mould and the final part
Read and linked to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) and technical data sheet (TDS) for the resins that you’re using
I used SolidWorks to do my design for the molding. I did the shell of a turtle on the top of a rectangular cube.
With the program Modela Player 4 I opened the design in stl and I configured it.1. Model
In my case, I did a Roughing and Finishing with the same tool (the 3.18 mm diameter tool). When it finished I cut the excess material with a cutter.
For the composite adhesive I used SUPERSAP ONE resin and hardener. The safety data sheet does warn of skin irritation and allergic reactions and cautions against breathing the vapours. For these reasins, we have to work with the resin in a spacius and well ventilated area and using gloves.
On the technical data sheet explains the right mix ratio of 2 parts Epoxy to 1 part hardener and stiring the mixture in plastic cups enough to get the correct colour and viscosity.
First I wraped the mold with a layer of non sticking polypropylene plastic sheet plastic (green plastic). Continuously, I added four layers of lycra netting (I used it because the details of my design are very small) with the mixing epoxy. After that, I put a respirative layer (blue plastic) and a absorbent coton layer. Before to put it to the vaccum machine it is necessary wraped all it (to protect the machine) with a layer of plastic (transparent plastic). In the next photos we can see the process; I put in the vacuum mahcine, I turned on it, it begins to do the vacuum machine amd finally when the vacuum machine ends to do the vacuum. At minimum it has to be 8 hours in the vaccum machine.
The dots that will appear on the absorbent coton layer it is the excess of resin, and it is a good signal. It will be a problem if there is not dots (it means that it has not enough resin), or if the absorbent layer was full of resin (it means that it has too much resin).
As we can see in the image it would be better if the details of the turtle shell had been done with more depth and width.