During this week we have to make something big. And I will do it from scratch -> inspiration / thinking / mock-up / modeling / cutting / building
All files that used in this are placed on external storage.
This Sunday with my association of archers of Ulysses we started to make something big (20m2 hut for terrain of shots)
1 m3 of wood moved
Wood joints are important
I started by inspiration. It take looooooooooooooooong time... Each time I found idea I passed via several validation steps.
This inspiration phase took 3 days! It was a long way. Finally idea exist.
Cover 3D printer
Coffee-table with moved parts
So I have the idea. Cat tree / cat house. The old one is become broken and need to be changed and improved! 3 days later! It took time to find the idea. But I am happy to discovery a lot of things that I saw produced by other persons!
Let start to do it. I have a mock-up so now I can start modeling in 2D. Important rules: I use layers to simplify passing to machine. I use sizes as I already know the size of my wood-sheet and I use the good joints inspired and taken on 50 digital joints site. (This rule was probably a mistake.. but it was like this)
Joints I will use
Apply external joints
Holes added and we see final view
This phase took about 6 hours.
Now I go to cut... Long phase. 9 hours of transport :( because of schedule - 3 times go on site and only the 3rd time I got my time ... But ok. Let see it.
Workflow -> I do export my DXF file from the QCad -> I import it to Rhino and I do check for open curves, for dupes and so on. When it is clean -> I export it as DWG and I import it to VCarve - I test it and I try to build path. Then I export .tab file and put it to machine. And I start to cut. In theory... :-)
Workflow -> I do export my DXF file from the QCad -> I import it to Rhino and I do check for open curves, for dupes and so on. I fix it. When it is clean -> I export it as DXF and I import it to VCarve - and it saw me error. I return to Rhino and I see that some path are not join. Then I join them and exported as DXF - and it does not work in VCarve.... grrrr... Then Aldo help me to fix my joins. Much better - but not enough... Then Saverio helped me with my file by passing it to Autocad - it is much better and it pass.... Except it lost view curves :). No problem we try again - and with help Arno we did rebuild of the shapes I have imported from 50 digital joints site as they were the problem... Yay - now I can test it and I try to build path. Then I export .tab file and put it to machine. And..... I need to return next day because machine can not work after 19:00... Ok. Let see next day.
Excited to cut!!!!! Let start! :-)
Wood sheet placed. File putted and let start!
Its really cool
This path need to have another look...
But I don't think it will be a big problem. I will just use a manual tool to remove this wrong path. Looks like I did a mistake and did not saw this error after the multiple iterations between the rhino and VCarve.... Will fix it later.. But it stressful :)
Polishing using this machine
Cutting result are cool
Without the not useful part
Part to trash bin
Some vacuum cleaning
Waiting for assembling
So we decided to assembly parts and make some tuning to construction. We have an old cat tree that we split to a parts and we reused some parts in new. So let see assembling phase.
Ready to assembly
Just cross-fit parts
Old cat tree has some vertical bars that need to be fixed to be able to reuse them. So let use antimony and create some support that can be used to place them. Simple. F5 mins of work and 1h of 3D printing and we have support part. Let install it and test.
Installing the bar
Acceptance test passed!
Let print another copies.
Meanwhile Acceptance test for holes.
Another one test :).
Reused some old towel and cover to make it cool and more comfortable.
Acceptance test passed again!
Now it is finished, installed, looks final and cool. Cat and family love it!
Acceptance test :-)
I start cutting:
In middle of the path
We see how it printed better
This week was really interesting one. It shows me that the idea and inspiration part is very long and difficult part of the making things. As well inspiration can not always be present... Some times it difficult to get it in time.