During this week I have tried to work with different software and tried to work with laser cut machine with cardboard.
For my press-fit construction kit I decided to use cardboard material as a cheaper and more simple to operate. The choice mostly based on first experience limits. The idea of the kit is the mix of different shapes based on thickness of material that can be produced "on demand" in agile way. There is no fixed form or idea for this kit and it is not done to produce something special. Just an open mind thing.
Before starting work on my press-fit I cut models generated last week. Here is the result. So first try was good! :)
How it looks like connected
And from another side
I started to use Antimony 3D tool. In fact it is really cool tool but because of little community (or hidden one :) ) I passed a lot of time on simple questions... Like why I can not export to "stl"...
So let try to see Antimony files. At the beginning I did first test not really optimized. So my first try looks like this..
So let optimize it. I found the Array node :-). Looks much better. As well I added the script node that count all parameters before I use them. Now it is parametrized.
Let create some more elements. Linker that links directly.
And it is ready. That's how it is looks like and can be used.
Somebody more interested in it
Some errors during print (too small)
It was produced like this
Something special :)
In this step I did the antimony file and generated PNG on output.
We take Inkscape. Load the png file. Then we use bitmap path to create vector from raster image. Then we export it into the dxf file (Autocad DXF format)
Rhino import the DXF file (be careful with same sizes as in previous step. Keep mm everywhere). Check the size, duplicate object and place it on the field. Export to DWG format that accept laser cut machine.
Bring the file on USB key to machine and use the standard process of printing this file.
During this week I also need to try to use the vinyl cutter machine. So we have a cameo silhouette machine at Fablab - let try it.
First of all I need to find an image that I want to cut. I decided to cut on Bender image from Futurama. Some pre-requirements for image that I applied:
- It need to be in .png format (just to simplify processing, of course it can be converted before by myself)
- It should be "cuttable" - when I remove outside parts it should have cool look
- Not very difficult to process at the end.
So here is my choice:
At the first step I need to make it vectorial (Silhouette studio can do it for me, but I prefer to control process). So I decided to use the fabmodules to transform it.
Process is very intuitive - load png -> select svg as destination -> outline and calculate.
Then I use the inkjet just to transform the svg to dxf - format that accept the Silhouette studio.
When the file is transformed I load it into silhouette studio and resize it. (First I select completely image and re-group it). I select size that it come just good on place where I will place it at the end (so I measured it before).
And just after - let make direcly several copies by just copy / paste my current image.
Next step is select good material and place it into machine. As well I need to check that knife is set-up correctly (parameters can be seen directly in studio app and it depends on selected material). So machine is ready to cut.
Let start cutting
Here is the result
Now I will use trasparrent the adhesive tape that will be placed on the top of vinyl and will permit me to transport and when vinyl will be placed on definitive location it will be just simple removed
Now we have it transferred. I use cutter to split on parts (I have multiple images cuttet in same time). Let remove the support paper and let clean up the image on adhesive tape.
Now we place on definitive location and gently remove the adhesive tape. Usage of the transparrent tape permit us clearly see where we place the image and align it.
And here is the result! I like it.