Daily Blog

Daily journal of learnings and what it impacts

Gautam PrakashGautam

31 Jan 2017


01 Feb 2017

  • Documentation: Updated the Final project page with the updates for the day. Also, uploaded the code for the IOT device online and have linked it here.
  • Approach: Had a great conversation with Lavina Utamani about product development processes. I learnt that I might have to do more research about the different options to mounting the device on the water tank for now. Thanks!
  • Reading: Reading a book called Thinking Clearly to avoid loopholes and biases in my approach to the final project.
  • Final Project:
    • Hardware made into a simple PCB using a NodeMCU and an ultrasonic distance sensor
    • Code for this uploaded here
    • Data can be seen here
    • Plan is to test this tomorrow and then deploy it on a water tank day after (03 Feb 2017) using a simple battery pack.
    • Learning how to use Rhino for the first time and happy to put up my first sketch of the enclosure here!
  • FabDocumentation: Started a conversation with Vipul and have put some more website extracts into my working folder.


02 Feb 2017

  • Documentation: Didn't document on day, doing it a day later.
  • Approach: First prototype in terms of casing done thanks to rapid Rhino tutorial from Lavina Utamani. She ir REALLY GOOD at this. Thanks Ravina! Rudra aka Rudrapalsinh Solanki showed me a few hacks which I need to practise and imbibe.
  • Reading: None today.
  • Final Project:
    • PCB developed loose contacts. Need 2 sided perforated PCB so that I can solder without loose contacts. FOund such a guy here.
    • Got 17 devices allowed through the network largely due to real quick work from Ajay Pijwala and Rajesh Patel. Many thanks guys!
    • Added another IOT device with a DHT22 (Temp-Hum sinsor) to test the data pushing mechanism. Data can be seen here
    • The distance sensor is functional, loose contact is in the link between D2 and Trig pin on the sensor. Will be fixed an deployed in the drinking water tank next to the lab to test in the actual scenario.
    • My 3D printed PCB base looks like this. THanks FabLab CEPT!
  • FabDocumentation: Started a conversation with Vipul and have put some more website extracts into my working folder.


03 Feb 2017

  • Documentation: Fixed the discipline issue, documenting as I go.
  • Approach: Rapid Prototyping. Instead of testing the device on the 5,000 L water tank, am testing it on a drinking water dispenser next to the lab so that I can keep an eye on it and develop it as it requires.
  • Reading: None today.
  • Final Project:
    • Read on math functions on the Arduinohere. Intersting read. This is helping me convert distance to volume. After getting a wrong litre value, I re-read my basic math here and figured out that I hadn't convert cm3 to litres ie divide answer by 1000.
    • Lid was redeveloped like this
    • Updated code is available here.
    • Track the water level at the Drinking water fountain here!
  • FabDocumentation: Started a conversation with Vipul and have put some more website extracts into my working folder.


04 Feb 2017

  • Approach: Get the right tools.
  • Reading: None today.
  • Final Project:
    • Since I am using a single sided PCB, I am facing issues soldering on both sides of the PCB. This translates into tough solders around tight gaps. Decided to go out and get a doublesided PCB so that I could solder better.
    • Also spent time looking for 5v Transistors to make the input scalbale, and safeguard the PCB.
    • Lavina has put it in my head that I should look at 3D printing the case in such a way that I can wire the components together and avoid a circuit per say. So giving that a shot too!
  • FabDocumentation: Website structure for CEPT thought off and linked here.


05 Feb 2017

  • Approach: Plan the requirements and put a case around it. Also setup for myself a cool space which looks like this! . Having a dual moitor allows me to create a desktop which looks like this
  • Reading: ...
  • Final Project:
    • Using Rhino 5 as I found it more flexible than AutoCad Fusion 360. Both these I have really explored this week.
    • 2 designs of one box done to learn basics and and the first design for the tank water level monitor case made.
  • FabDocumentation: No Updates.


06 Feb 2017

  • Approach: Eseentialism. With the tools in place and the environment in place, its time to reduce the distractions and get to work!
  • Reading:
  • Final Project:
    • Design: Been able to make more complex CAD designs using Rhino. Learning was that I was making my surfaces too thin.
    • 2D drafting helped me understand the measurements and nuances of correctly designing the case around the components
    • 3D work helped visualise it in different forms and find the smallest size.
  • FabDocumentation: Got a pdf from Vipul on a presentation made. Looking at Facebook to put in more data into place.


07 Feb 2017

  • Approach: Make it look good! GIF images today thanks to Avishek Das
  • Reading:
  • Final Project:
    • Researching more into designs by others on enclosures in Thingiverse.
    • Tried to get a simple 5v voltage regulator circuit working today. Failed due to a loose contact on a new board I'm using for the first time.
    • Used Irfanview to reduce image sizes. Used WinDirStat to analyse why my folder on github reached 98MB. While I was happy to be FabAcademy 2017's largest website so far, I realised I had saved and uploaded multiple cad files online.
  • FabDocumentation: NA.