Getting started with this week's assignment, following tasks had to be done :
I wanted to make a circular anti-clastic surface. I used Rhino for modeling my mold. I followed the following steps:
Once the basic form was ready, I had to make waffle structure which would act as base for my composite. I used Rhino and Grasshopper for it. I followed the following steps:
Files can be found here.
PREPARING THE MOLD
Now that the design files were ready, it was time to prepare the mold. I used the following steps:
For this assignment used Araldrite AW-106 Resin and HV 953 hardener which was available at our Lab. I started by reading the datasheet to understand the behaviour of this resin. It can be downloaded from here.
I found the following information very useful for my process of making a composite :
I used Araldite Epoxy resin and hardener in proportion 1:1 as prescribed. I mixed the 2 solutions thoroughly till it turned homogeneous yellow.
I placed a Burlap sheet on the waffle mold and then applied thin layer of the solution on Burlap. I used a wooden stick to apply the resin and wore safety gloves. I repeated this step thrice to obtain adequate strength.
Next I placed the composite in an Air-tight bag and sucked the Air out using a Vacuum cleaner. This ensured that there are no Air bubbles left.
This puts the composite into compression. I let it dry for next 3-4 hours to gain sufficient strength and stiffness.
It acquired adequate strength in only few hours and became very hard. I removed it from the Bag and used scissors to cut the edge into round shape. This how my composite looked like.