Testing the leafbot

website version1.0

Next step is to close the front with an aluminum cover plate. I have found a thin, easy to bend, aluminum plate in my barn that was perfect to use. I measured the plate and determine the size and made markes on it where I had to cut it.



Cutting the plate with a hand tin scissors



Both sides have been cut because it was a plate that was used before for something else.



Flatten the cutted edges on my own bending machine



Quick check if the width is ok.



Next step is to bend the first edge





The first bend was placed on the lower bulkhead and fixated with clamps. Then I bended it over the curved side panels of the wooden frame structure



I bended the aluminum plate over the curved wood and pressed it in the sharp corner, so I could determine where the other bend should be located. Because it is thin aluminum, it is easy to bend by hand.



The second bend could be made



With small nails I connected the aluminum plate to the wooden structure



Ready to be tested



I took it outside on the lawn. In the winter I conserved some big containers with leaves, so I was able to do this test. I taken the dilling machine and my prototype metal axle to be able to drive the brushes. Tis isn't the final solution, but only made to be able to test the working principal of the LeafBot.

First test with front cover

Look inside how much leaf where sweeped inside

Second test sweeping more leafs

The pricipal of the LeafBots works very good. The storage volume was fillet in a few seconds. So the capacity of the brushes is in comparison to the storage volume a bit out balanced, but the sweeping system works very well. In the future, when I will make version 2 of the Leafbot, it must have a bigger storage volume. In the picture below it is visible that the storage is filled with the leafs and the lawn was sweeper very clean.



The next step will be to design a suspension system to suspend the front wheels and then to electronics to control the movement and the brushes