Fab Lab UTEC is a digital fabrication and prototyping lab in UTEC University in Lima, Peru.
The lab is adscribed to the Industrial Engineering Department, however, it serves students and faculty. from all the Departments.
Our main line of work is as a platform for Students' Engineering Projects development, especially regarding the Engineering Projects Workshop (a cross-department course) and Product Design and Prototyping.
Our educational offer includes Courses for kids and teenagers.
If our Fab Lab was to be a person, it would Probably be a mix of a Ronin Samurai (looking for someone to serve and problems to solve) and a craftsman (since craftsmanship is more about the practice of making something original, but not necessarily unique)
It is because of this that we try to cover both the design and engineering aspects of the Product Development process, trying to stimulate our students to work together and create compelling and interesting solutions.
This is our first year in the Fab Academy Program and we have currently four students enrolled:
At first, we did not have a ver clear idea about what to do, and a few ideas were pitched and talked over, among them the following:
The machine is designed to combine 4 axis of motion and use a patterned roller as and end effector, a href="http://archive.fabacademy.org/archives/2017/fablabutec/students/161">Alejandro and Guillermo designed the structure for the functioning of the machine
The first step was to design the effector -the cutting roller- Alejandro made the design in inventor and it we 3d printed it afterwards:
Next, we started cutting the gestalt node boxes in our laser cutter, for this, The 2015 Fab Lab ESAN cardboard design was used, however, the cutting was not to happen without incidents, some of our cardboard caught fire and part of the cutting work was not completely done because of the cardboard, which was bent on some areas.
And thus, we had the pieces set for the modules assembly:
Afterwards, based upon the design already made, we milled the HDPE tray in the shopbot, making a Pocket cut of 5mm at 14000 RPM using a single flute, upcut endmill.
Before we could start testing the modules, the Fabnet board had to be populated, so the RS-485 cable, the Pin Headers, and the resistors:
Next on queue was assembling the cardboard nodes, which has taken quite a while, we had to fasten it with our own bolts. We got the Gestalt nodes just on tuesday April 18th morning, so it has been an uphill battle to make the machine as far as we have managed to get. Alexandra was in charge of the modules assembly
Then, the stages needed to be tested, in order to do so, the singe_node.py was used:
A few hours later, we got the second stage done and started testing coordinated motion, in order to do so, we used the xy_plotter.py file.
It was noticed that, by the rationale of the machine, if we wanted to get both axis to move in sync, the coordinates given in the python file needed to have opposite signs.
The First Experiments proved succesful, but the cardboard structure was not robust enough for the planned use, so we designed and cut a new structure in 3mm acryllic:
The files can be found here
Feel free to contact us regarding any potential collaborations and projects