Hi visitor. Find below the group machine assignment done in Montevideo's fablab by Santi aka: "el jipi" and Mercedes aka: McKenzie. We took Nadya and Jame'sproject as a starting point and adjusted it according to our local needs.
The main concept of our machine takes as model Nadya and Jame's axis mechine development and create a bi axed machine (2 axis),with one of them lying the floor/table and the other one suspended perpendiculary on top of the former one. Meaning: the bottom axis (y) will hold the drawing surface and the suspended axis (X) will hold the pen/pencil.
We first edited and laser-cut carboard pieces, printed coupling pieces and reduced the threaded rod size to get a first (temporary) assmbly and be able to do tests.
The most challenging part of the flying axis (X) since it needed a steady support to be flying and holding steadily the pen. This was succesfully achieved with a lasered cutted piece. Since this axis was shorter than the Y one the 3D-printed piece for the stepper coupling was precise enough.
The Y axis seemed pretty straight forward but we encountered two adjustments to be made. The first one is the coupling piece, we tryed with a 3D printed one (like in the X axis) but it did not work properly, probably because this axis is way longer than the X one and needs more stability. What we did was using a rubber rod that fixed that issue. The sencond adjustement we did was to the "Canvas box". We doubled the cardbouard dose there and used 2 nuts (one for each side of the box to get a better grip and a more firm movement.
We programmed stepper movements with arduino IDEtanking into consideration the stepper datasheet.
A transformer was also needed (uruguayan Voltage is 220V) with an output of 12V. Note we used a 1A~ Transformer even if our stepper motor data sheet says 2A~. That's because we lacked a 12V 2A~ transformer. Bear in mind that this transformer needs to be switched to a 2A one if the machine will be frequently used.
Putting both axes alltogether was the next step, not before testing at least one Axis. Below the X axis test which worked fine. Besides from the Axis itself we needed to have the Arduino UNO + Shield, the transformer and the computer with the universal GCode controller.
Here's one of the several tests we did. The outcome looks good, the X axis is steadier than the Y one, probably because of the fact that the Y axis length is sensibly greater.
Find below our video presentation with a greater insight on the whole process.Hope you liked it and can use it as a guide. Do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be happy to help.